a boutique agency with a slight shoe fetish

Ask Daphne! Speed Round, Take Two

Before the unread emails in my inbox get too overwhelming, let’s clear some of them up with another Ask Daphne patented speed round! Please keep your hands and legs inside the car at all times. J.B. asks

Since you’re just getting started with your own literary agency now, are you looking around for any hired help to assist you around the office? If not, do you have any other ideas of where I could potentially look for publishing jobs that exist outside of New York City?

Ah, J.B., I kind of wish I was! I’m afraid though that for now, kt literary remains just me and my alter ego, and we do our best to get to all the work that comes across our desk. You’re on the right track for seeking publishing jobs outside of NYC, though. Find those agencies or publishers that operate outside New York, and contact them! At the same time, keep an eye on the job boards at Publishers Marketplace and Media Bistro — I’ve seen postings from all over the country, although the bulk are in New York. And maybe my readers have other suggestions. Good luck!
Gogirl writes

I’ve queried several agents for my novel and received several requests for fulls and partials. One agent called me a few weeks ago to talk about my novel and what types of changes this agent would like to see. The agent didn’t offer representation at that time. Since then, I’ve made the changes and the agent said she liked what I did. Now she wants more changes–and still no offer to rep. In the meantime, I don’t know whether I should say something to the other agents reading my novel or not. I don’t have an offer or anything tangible to discuss or do I? I also had another agent ask for the full last week based on a large partial, and she asked me if I’d accepted representation “yet.” What is the appropriate protocol in this type of situation?

Gogirl, while you’re in an enviable position, at this point, it’s still a waiting game. Without a firm offer of representation, I don’t believe you’re under any obligation to inform other agents of your dealings with the first agent — unless they won’t look at anything unless it’s exclusive, but then, you wouldn’t currently be in touch with them, would you? You could ask the first agent point blank if an offer is forthcoming, mentioning that you’ve had other interest, but seeing as she’s already requested additional changes, you might not get the answer you’re looking for if you press her. I would recommend making the revisions, if they interest you, and waiting to hear her reaction then. If an offer is forthcoming, at that point I’d recommend you tell the other agents reading your material, and try to give them a reasonable amount of time to get back to you with a decision. I hope that helps!
And finally, OneBittenTwiceShy asks

What do YOU define as “middle grade novel”?

Roughly, I’d call it a book aimed for an audience of 8-12, although there can be low middle grade books for readers on the younger end of that range, and high middle grade books that may feature older situations.
OK, that’s it for today! Keep those questions coming.

2 thoughts on “Ask Daphne! Speed Round, Take Two”

Comments are closed.