Yesterday, I took a look in my query pile, and liveblogged my reactions to 10 queries. If you follow me on Twitter, you already saw this, but if not, here’s a recap.
BEA was hectic, of course, and after getting through the most pressing follow-up I needed to do, I’m left with a giant (metaphorical) pile of reading to do. Here’s the problem, though — the more material I have on a project, the longer it takes me to read. Well, sure, that only makes sense. But follow along with me here for a sec — a query which contains a letter and about three pages of text takes about five minutes to read, roughly. At the moment, I have about 80 unread queries after clearing them all out just last week. Then I’ve got the partials I requested — the first five chapters of books that intrigue me, which each take about 45 minutes to an hour to read, sometimes less. Say about 45 of those. Then there’s the full manuscripts — either the first time I’m seeing a full, or a revision of a full that I requested that I need to give my full attention. I’ve got about ten of those waiting patiently for my eyes.